Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What's that theory??

I had a wonderfully long day yesterday. Started out with an eye doctor appointment. Love that my eye doctor is a client and friend. She is very honest and direct with me. My eye infection is getting better. My vision improved to 20/70 (which is still not good), the ulcers and bacteria on my cornea are gone, but the vision is still blurred and the blood vessel invasion of my cornea is still present. We're still treating it with steroid drops and there are no contacts allowed for several months.

The rest of the day was spent travelling towards the eastern part of NC to go on wish visits. Myself and three of our summer interns went to Raeford, Laurinburg and Peachland. We met three children with three very different wishes; a shopping spree, a therapy room and a swimming pool. All three are going to be a ton of fun for the kids.

As we were getting ready to leave the last visit, my car battery died. Luckily I had jumper cables and the mom knew how to hook them up. We made it all the way to Monroe when my gas light came on. So I stopped for gas and turned the car off (becuase it's the law). When we went to leave - dead battery. The first guy the interns talked into helping us had a new Challenger and didn't know where his battery was. He consulted his owner's manual and then phoned a friend. With no success we continued to sit and wait. Eventually a nice man in a mini-van stopped and helped. He was unable to get it started using his cables and my cables... so he tried them both together. SUCCESS!!

I was able to get the interns back to their cars and make it back home where my loving husband had already purchased a new battery and was waiting to install it. He got it taken care of to get me back up and running. I made a comment that while I was sitting at the gas station I didn't know what to do - my mom says I knew exactly what to do; I knew when to call my husband.  :-)

We had to reschdule one of the wish visits until another day. The trip was much longer than originally anticipated. But the gratification that you get from knowing you are making a child's one come true is indescribable.

On a sad note, while I was on the trip, I received a phone call from the office saying that one of my other wish kids is about to get her angel wings. Ellie and her family need all the prayers they can get to make it through the final moments they have together. You can read all about her journey on CaringBridge http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/elliepotvin.

Love and Best Wishes! Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment